Basic requirement is a bachelor’s or diploma degree in either a technical or creative branch of interior design, architecture or design or any other field of study that is related to the chief aims of the degree program. Required are at least seven semesters at a German university or an equivalent qualification of an international university, which is to be evaluated by the board of examiners, with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.5.
02. May – 15. June
middle of July
Currently because of the Corona crisis: Please inform at: https://www.hs-coburg.de/studium/bewerben-und-einschreiben.html
First things first
A Short Summary
- Academic degree is “Master of Arts (M.A.) “
- The consecutive master’s program is a full time course
- Duration of the course is three semesters (one practical semester is included)
- The course only starts in the winter semester (1st October)
- Final grade of your undergraduate course of study is at least 2.5
- Please note that the language of instruction is German
- Knowledge of the German language is basic requirement for foreign students (DSH 2)
- Students are selected by a practical qualification test and oral examination
The master.design programm at the University of Coburg is offered in the German language. Here are a few questions and answers that may be of interest to you: International Applicants
You need to choose a topic for your focus project. Seek consultation with one of the mentors. We are happy to receive your inquiries.
script out your Proposal
Obtain a preliminary acceptance of your mentor. Therefore you need to send your scripted proposal to the mentor of your choice via email. Send your inquiries to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please include the following subject matter to your email: master.design Betreuungsanfrage Mentor Prof. „xy“ or direct mail to the desired mentor)
The online application is your digital acceptance for your master application. In addition you need to submit your written application. You will find a list of all required additional written documents as a pdf file in the course of your online application.
Additional to the online application:
- Fill in the application form
- CV (printed) with passport photograph
- letter of motivation
- artistic portfolio
Send the following documents of your application printed and completely filled in to:
Hochschule Coburg, Master Design, Sekretariat, z.Hd. Frau Susanne Roos
Am Hofbräuhaus 1, 96406 Coburg
- Documents of your online application
- Filled in application form
- CV (printed) with passport photograph
- Letter of motivation
- Artistic portfolio
- Preliminary note of acceptance of your mentor
The proposal is a detailed description of the subject matter of the focus project/master’s thesis (max. 3-5 A4 pages). After consulting the mentoring professors about it, a printed version of the proposal is to be enclosed as well.
The proposal that has to be handed in for admission to master.design is supposed to show
the applicants will and abilities to work on a scientific and/or creative topic.
- Examination of socially compatible design concepts and their implementation possibilities in processes of planning and design is considered to be of particular importance.
- A detailed explanation of a disciplinary relevant problem; it is to be described systematically and in detail and concerning the regarding level of development and knowledge.
- Research and work on the problem are supposed to generate new insight or innovative design solutions and are thereby making a contribution to the area of expertise.
- Adequacy and aim-orientation of the methods applied in the project have to be explained coherently and discussed critically.
- The problem requires socio-creative and design related competences.
- Being well grounded theoretically and methodologically is of great importance for independent, anticipatory economical and humanely considerate planning and designing.
- The applicant is supposed to show willingness and readiness to operate in a motivating, coordinating and moderating way.
The proposal meets creative standards itself.
Upon approval by the mentors it is possible to hand in proposals in English.
The motivation essay that relates to your academic and professional interests, and to why you wish to pursue the degree program to which you are applying (max. 3 printed A4 pages)
Further Application Documents
- CV (printed) with passport photograph. Coburg University requires a complete description to the date of application. Working experience and internships are to be verified by references and employment contracts. Study periods are to be verified by certificates of enrollment
- Creative portfolio (4-10 samples/ prints A4, colored)
- And/or a list of projects and publications (printed)
The selection procedure consists of a practical test as well as a discussion with the examination committee.
The qualification test will take place on Mid-July. For further information, please refer to the Master Design §3 Study and Examination Regulations
The practical test includes artistic and creative tasks which vary in scope. The tasks deal with basic creative and technical questions, abilities of interdisciplinary communication, thinking in structural, creative and design contexts, and multidimensional design.
Board of Examiners interview
The Board of Examiners of the master´s program prescreens applicants to invite eligible candidates to a colloquium for applicants.
During the interview, applicants present their previous works and their focus project proposals. The interview includes artistic and creative issues and considers the motivation for applying. Furthermore, issues of design will be discussed.
There are no additional fees for the Master’s degree. The study fees include semester work at the Studentenwerk Oberfranken and a semester ticket.
University Advisory Service
The University Advisory Centre
+49 9561 317 108
Friedrich- Streib- Str. 2
General Advisory Service
Dr. Katja Kessel
Tel. +49 9561 317 445
Fax +49 9561 317 8247