Material – Technology – Innovation
The focus “material_technology_innovation” in the Master.Design puts a fundamental focus on a new approach to innovation, which is considered the driving force for economic and social progress. This focus deals with all relevant aspects of product design, such as form, emotion, function, production, sale, use and sustainability.
The main focus of the “material_technology_innovation” focus is on bundling and deepening these aspects in an integrative product development process – the DESIGNPILOTEN. The DESIGNPILOT is a web-based design innovation method that supports designers, creative people, engineers and developers in interdisciplinary development processes. This tool enables an integrated process for design and innovation work. Using the DESIGNPILOT enables a systematic and team-oriented approach to complex problems (LINK: www.designpilot.info)
The focus “material_technology_innovation” includes both classic consumer goods, capital goods and service design as well as solutions from individualized digital production – the “mass customization”. The digital transformation in technology, economy, culture and society offers designers both opportunities and risks. Within the framework of this focus, the connections of this transformation are developed and examined.
- Research and practical experience in handling materials, design and manufacturing processes and their close relation to industrial design
- Knowledge and experience of technologies of innovative material use
Practically relevant methods of systematic design & product construction (see www.coburger-designpilot.de)
- Networks as an interface to transdisciplinary institutions, companies and universities for national and international technology and knowledge transfer.
- Research foci and projects in industrial design (especially design engineering, innovative use of materials, manufacturing processes, product life cycles, recycling)
- Computer-aided technical communication, in particular, visualisation and virtual modelling, including their implementation for production (CAD/CAM, rapid prototyping)
As part of this focus, students acquire the ability to successfully tackle complex problems and issues using a multi-stage design process. You will learn to plan, organize and implement development processes in interdisciplinary teams. In doing so, innovative materials and technologies, sustainable development processes, intercultural and global production aspects as well as marketing strategies are integrated. The focus also picks up on the major megatrends of the 21st century and integrates them creatively into new product concepts.